Perfect for any day, this soup is especially delicious on a cool, crisp Fall day! This recipe is so good!! It is really simple and quick to put together. We like this as an option to chili because it is vegetarian and a very hearty soup. I always double it so we have leftovers. It also freezes well.
What You Need:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 celery sticks, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed and drained
- 14 oz can of crushed tomato
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock / broth ( 1 1/2 boxes of chicken or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 tsp each cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
What to do:
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add celery and carrot. Cook for 10 minutes or until softened and the onion is sweet.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the lemon and salt. Stir.
- Increase heat and bring to simmer. Scoop bubbles on the surface off and discard (do this again during cooking if required). Place lid on and turn heat down to medium low. Simmer for 35 – 40 minutes or until lentils are soft.
To thicken soup use a stick blender, do 2 or 3 quick spins. You could also transfer 2 cups to a blender, let it cool slightly, blend and then transfer back into pot.
Top Trending Post
If you want to change the soup’s consistency, add water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Just before serving, zest and add the juice of a lemon.
Serve with warm crusty bread and butter! Enjoy!!
Leave a Reply